Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Growth is a Mitzvah

Growth is a mitzvah. Did you know that? And by growth I don’t mean getting taller. I mean working harder and doing better.

Here is a story. Every blade of grass has an angel. The grass and the angel are always together. Sometimes the angel gives the blade of grass a smack and tells it, “Grow.”

Ouch.

Why does the grass have to get a smack? That doesn’t sound nice. And if the angel is strong, the smack probably hurts.

Growth isn’t comfortable. The grass won’t grow without a smack. It has to be jarred from its slumber.

Life works the same way. If you want to grow, you have to be uncomfortable with where you are.

And that makes sense.

If you want huge muscles, do you go to the gym and watch your friends work out? No. You go to the gym and hit the weights yourself. No one can give you big muscles. You have to make the effort.

If you want to get an A on a test, do you watch your friends study? No. You have to make the effort. You have to study.

If you want to learn how to play a musical instrument, do you watch other people practice? No. You have to make the effort. You have to practice.

No one can do the work for you. You have to decide, “My success is dependent on me. If I am going to be great it is because I am going to do it.”

If you really want to be great, you cannot be complacent.

Complacent is a big word. It means, “to settle with second best” or worse, “to be comfortable.” Comfortable is ok if you are trying to fall asleep. But if you want to do something – like get big muscles, or get an A on a test, or learn to play a musical instrument – comfort is your enemy. You have to be uncomfortable. You have to wake up, work hard, make the effort, and get it done.

Think about it. Do you people say, “I am mediocre?” No way. It is lame to be mediocre. Do people say, “I am average?” No way again. It is lame to be average.

And that is why it is lame to say, “I am good enough.” Good enough is not good enough. Be great.

You have to decide: I can do it. You have to decide: I am going to make the effort.

And when you do it and make the effort, you are going to be: Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment